29 Oct The Benefits of Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers and When to Use Them
Humidifiers and dehumidifiers are two common household appliances that provide families with various health benefits. While both have their share of benefits, it’s essential to know when to use humidifiers and dehumidifiers. Throughout the year, maintaining the right humidity level in your home can be a bit tricky since temperatures are always fluctuating. Luckily, humidifiers and dehumidifiers are used during different times of the year to ensure that your home’s humidity levels are optimal during each season. For example, a humidifier is used to add moisture in the air during the fall and winter months since they boast cold and dry air. On the other hand, dehumidifiers decrease the moisture in the air during the hot and humid summer months. While using either or in their respective months, a home’s humidity level should average 35 to 45 percent–monitored with a hygrometer. Used properly, both humidifiers and dehumidifiers help to keep your home comfortable and its environment healthy.
Humidifiers are best used during the cold winter season where the air is dry and chilly. During this time, our skin tends to dry out, and the risk of contracting an airborne virus is greater. To better avoid getting sick while keeping a healthy and moisturized complexion, it’s essential that we use humidifiers within our homes. Let’s look at some of the many benefits humidifiers provide families and homes:
- Reduces Illness: Viruses and bacteria have a harder time traveling and spreading in air that’s high in moisture. Since it’s the job of a humidifier to keep the air’s moisture at a proper level during the winter season, it creates an environment that’s not viable for viruses and bacteria to thrive and spread. Therefore, humidifiers help to reduce the risk of contracting the flu are other common winter illnesses.
- Moisturizes Skin: Cracked, dry skin is a common occurrence during the winter since and one that brings much discomfort. Humidifiers can help to soothe those chapped lips, cracked elbows, and dry skin. Humidifiers keep your skin, properly moisturized and free from flaking, dullness, and dryness.
- Reduces Bills: Surprisingly enough, the use of humidifiers helps to reduce household heating bills. While it’s only natural to raise the temperature of the house to stay warm during the chilly winter season, it results in higher heating bills at the end of each month. Luckily, humidifiers help combat this problem since the moisture it adds to the air feels warmer than the dry winter air. With added moisture in the air, you’re heating bill will be much lower.
Beat the winter weather with a good quality humidifier installed in your home. Now, let’s take a look at the benefits of a dehumidifier.
Dehumidifiers are a great appliance to have in homes, especially if you live in a state that boasts a humid climate. To combat the heat and humidity that comes with the summer months, dehumidifiers create an environment that’s cool and dry. Additionally, if you suffer from seasonal allergies, a dehumidifier may be your next best friend. Here are a few benefits dehumidifiers boast:
- Reduces Humidity: True to its name, dehumidifiers reduce humidity levels within homes. In reducing humidity levels, dehumidifiers will also minimize the growth of mold, mildew, and other household allergens.
- Lowers Energy Costs: With a dehumidifier in your home, you can lower your monthly energy costs. Dehumidifiers assist air conditioning units run more efficiently by reducing the humidity levels in your home–allowing your air conditioning unit to maintain a steady temperature.
- Reduces Odors: With too much moisture in the air, homes can develop a musty odor that accompanies mold and mildew. A dehumidifier will successfully reduce the moisture in the air to a healthy level and clear out any odors that associate with mold and mildew.
Properly utilizing a humidifier and dehumidifier in your home can greatly improve its environment. With optimal moisture levels in the air, humidifiers and dehumidifiers contribute to a healthier and happier life.