16 Sep How to Prepare Your HVAC for Winter
Ever turned your heater on only to hear it sputter, give a halfhearted attempt at starting, then die? No one wants to be stuck in a freezing home buried under 50 blankets. Instead, check your heating system to make sure it works. That way, you can catch problems in advance so you don’t have to hire a professional.
Preparing your HVAC for the winter is important, so here is a checklist of items you should confirm are working beforehand. If you don’t have the time to check these, give us a call, and we’ll do it for you.
- Filters: Filters need to be replaced every 1-3 months (one month or less if you have pets or severe allergies) or they could clog and lose efficiency. Also, not replacing your air filters can lead to poor air quality and increased allergies. It can also decrease the life of your system. If you have a permanent filter instead of a temporary one, here’s how to fix it.
- Thermostat: Make sure your thermostat works and is programmed to your liking. For instance, you could program it around your work and sleep schedules. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, consider installing a Nest Thermostat. Make sure your HVAC is heating your house to the correct temperature, also. If your thermostat display is not working, call us, and we’ll fix it.
- Furnace: Test your furnace several times while it’s still warm. Simply turn your heating on briefly to confirm it works. You don’t want to get to winter and find out it’s broken. You’ll want to do periodic visual inspections of your furnace, too. If your furnace is in a hard to reach location, hire a professional. Also, clear everything within three feet of your furnace to give it room to breath.
- Vents: Check that your vents don’t have any obstructions and are ready for winter heating. Wipe away any dust or dirt with a wet cloth.
- Sounds: Check that your system doesn’t make weird sounds when it’s on. Also check for moisture.
- Insulation: Make sure your air ducts are properly insulated or else heat could escape.
- Belt: Check the belt inside your unit to make sure it’s not torn or damaged.
Become a Comfort Club Member
Your HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) operates for thousands of hours each year. No matter how good your system, this is bound to produce some strain.
Your HVAC keeps you from being either swelteringly hot or frigid, and if you live in Middle Tennessee, we can help you keep it in optimal condition.
Join our Comfort Club to receive:
- Two free home visits per year with thorough tuneups of your HVAC
- Guaranteed appointments
- Free services
- A 10% discount off repairs and no charge for overtime or weekends
Our tuneups will make your system more efficient, potentially saving you up to 30% on your bills.
You’ll also get a free plumbing maintenance visit every year where we’ll check your faucets, supply lines and shut-offs, drain system and connections, all appropriate filters, dishwasher connections, garbage disposal, instant hot water machine, ice maker supply, dryer vents, laundry hoses, water lines, toilet valve, flapper and flush valve, tub/shower caulking, shower head, arm, flange and hand held shower, and all water heating components.
Separately, these services would cost more, but all together, you’ll pay only $119.40 per year.